The News-Hub/ Articles
Back to Articles
Not only is our earth being suffocated with plastic, but the broken down fragments have now made their way into our food chain. But, have you ever stopped to think about how that affects you?
No matter how health-conscious you are, its pretty much fact that you are ingesting plastic daily and that's terrifying right? We've seen what it is doing to our oceans, marine life, environment and if that's not enough to scare you maybe just how much we are ingesting will be.
Last year's Environmental Science and Technology journal confirmed that humans could be consuming between 39,000 and 52,000 plastic particles every year. If you combine that with the number of particles we inhale, the scientists took that number closer to 74,000 a year! That's close to a credit card amount of plastic a week - what?!
So how can we lessen this? Many of our regular everyday items contain huge amounts of microplastics and by cutting down on their usage, you can also lessen the amount you are consuming.
- Bottled Water - cutting down on this be good for your health but for the environment too!
- Fish & Seafood - sadly with the amount of plastic in our oceans its made its way into our wildlife and ultimately into your meal.
- Tea - many tea bag brands use a plastic sealant to hold their bags together which can then leak into our cuppa, as well as certain fabric tea bags leaking them out by the second.
- Beer - yes, this may be hard to hear, but just a litre of beer contains 4.05 manmade particles; most of which are plastic.
- Salt - last but not least, a 2019 report by researchers in South Korea and Greenpeace East Asia found that microplastics are present in 90% of commercial sea salt brands.
The effects of consuming these microplastics are yet to be confirmed but with the rate that they are entering our bodies, we can only hope we find out before it is too late!
0 comments. Write a comment
Empty content. Please select category to preview